No matter the industry or project, we help you obtain answers to key questions such as are our processes, programs, or services working effectively? Are we reaching the right people? What types of stories do we need to tell about who we are, what we do, and what impact we have on systems, individuals, and/or communities? At HPW, we help answer those questions through the work we do for you.
The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence (PCADV) is a private, nonprofit organization based out of Harrisburg overseeing a network of 59 community-based domestic violence programs across the Commonwealth. Since 1976, PCADV has served nearly 3.0 million survivors of domestic violence and their families through prevention, intervention, and policy change.
As a part of its five-year state action plan and with funding through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, PCADV partnered with us to conduct a statewide needs assessment specific to risk factors of intimate partner violence (IPV). We completed a literature review to identify counties and populations in Pennsylvania (PA) primarily impacted by community-level risk factors related to IPV. As a part of our work, we collected primary and secondary data through related publications, scholarly resources, indexed surveys, Community Health Needs Assessments, and key informant interviews.
Once we collected and analyzed this information, we provided PCADV a comprehensive report that included spatial mapping and outlined key findings and recommendations. Results were presented to PCADV’s Advisory Group and have been used to guide PCADV’s action plan to prioritize populations most at risk for IPV in PA.
Pace School (Pace) is a private, licensed special education school that provides free programming for students with severe disabilities. Pace collaborated with us to determine the feasibility of and strategy for marketing both their Positive Learning and Integrated Design (PLAID) program – an integrated framework for Social and Emotional Learning (SEL) and academic instruction – and career/vocational education and training program respectively.
To do this work, we reviewed existing literature specific to integrated and non-integrated models of SEL and conducted market research through situational analyses with Pace staff members, as well as surveys, interviews, and discussion groups with a range of key stakeholder groups.
Results from the market research and literature review were presented to Pace alongside recommendations and associated cost categories. Two business models, one for PLAID and one for career/vocational education and training, were also included to help guide next steps for marketing and funding these programs.
The Erie County Department of Health (ECDH) collaborated with us to develop a local invoicing database to track costs specific to tobacco related activities. After reviewing the subcontractor’s proposal and workplans to the ECDH, we worked with the Northwest Tobacco Control staff to design the invoicing system, which is used to track service activities related to the ECDH goals. The system also tracks direct and administrative costs for each service. We then built, tested, and piloted the local database, trained contractors in data collection and reporting, monitored data collection, and provided ongoing technical assistance. We also interviewed contractors specific to their use of the database, worked with contractors to develop consistency in data collection, and analyzed costs.
In phase two of the ECDH project, we collaborated with Sunstrata, a database and web application firm, to convert the local database to an enterprise-scale platform. Phase two allowed partner agencies to access and manage their own detailed budget and invoice data specific to their contract with ECDH.
The ECDH utilizes the invoicing platform to aggregate the data across all providers for reporting to the Pennsylvania Department of Health, and we continue to conduct cost benefit analyses for tobacco related activities and connect costs to outcomes achieved. The success of this project led to a similar contract with Adagio Health, a local health and wellness service provider and primary contractor for the Tobacco Free Southwest PA.
* : asterisk indicates multi-year projects or multiple contracts
- Blair County MH/MR/D&A Program *
- Cambria County Drug and Alcohol Program *
- County of Beaver – Beaver County Behavioral Health *
- Erie County Department of Health *
- Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency *
- Pennsylvania Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs
- Pennsylvania Department of Health
- Adagio Health *
- Aliquippa Impact
- Alternative Community Resource Program *
- Armstrong, Indiana, Clearfield and Clarion Drug and Alcohol Commission
- American Lung Association-Mid-Atlantic Region *
- Citizens Coal Council
- Community Alternatives *
- Crawford County Drug and Alcohol Executive Commission *
- Family Links
- Fayette County Drug and Alcohol Commission *
- Glade Run Lutheran Services
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank
- Greater Pittsburgh Nonprofit Partnership
- Institute for Research, Education and Training on Addiction (IRETA)
- Jewish Healthcare Foundation
- Keystone Wellness *
- Mercer County Behavioral Health Commission, Inc. *
- Merakey *
- Pennsylvania Coalition Against Domestic Violence *
- Pennsylvanians for Modern Courts
- Pressley Ridge *
- Rankin Christian Center
- ROOTS *
- Somerset Single County Authority for Drug and Alcohol
- St. Vincent College Prevention Projects *
- Tickets for Kids
- Tobacco Free Allegheny
- TRAILS Ministries *
- United Way of Allegheny County
- Ward Home
- Washington County Health Partners *
- Washington County Drug and Alcohol Commission
- Westmoreland County Drug and Alcohol Commission *
Public & Private Sector
- Allegheny HealthChoices, Inc. *
- Bayer Center for Non-Profit Management
- Beaver County Rehabilitation Center
- Community College of Allegheny County *
- Gateway Rehabilitation Center *
- Hornby Zeller
- Mercer Government Human Services Consulting *
- Northwest Behavioral Health Partnership, Inc. *
- Pace School
- Pittsburgh Public Schools
- Rhode Island Hospital
- Southwestern Pennsylvania Behavioral Health Management, Inc. *
- University of Pittsburgh Katz Graduate School of Business *
- University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine